Sunday, October 18, 2015

Review: Lupromax Engine Additive

I firmly believe in the theory: "The things you own, end up owning you". Too often we buy stuff based on the upfront costs without thinking of the additional costs. The costs may not be necessarily be monetary, but it could also be in the form of time and effort.

For example, if I were to buy a brand spanking new Yamaha R15 in Yamaha Racing Blue. I may end up spending every weekend washing and polishing my bike's exterior, lubing the chain and what not to make it look like it just rolled out of the showroom.
I may end up riding around to find an ideal parking spot or spending extra effort in covering the bike every time it is parked.
Worse still, having a constant fear that the pristine looking piece of machinery will be stolen.

So... the practical side of me ended up with a used Honda CBF150 which now looks like it has survived the Dakar Rally. Dust is a protective coating right? :)



To be blunt, I was abusing my bike. I'd change brakes, tyres and rebleed the brake fluid as a matter of safety, but I more or less ignored everything else since the bike was just used for daily commuting.

It was only after I started thinking of touring that I decided to learn more about maintenance. I started using better EO reducing my EO change intervals and using proper lube for my chain. Most importantly, I started using an engine additive by Lupromax. My bike is pretty hard on engine oil. From my experience, it prefers a shorter EO change interval rather than higher grade EO. For best performance, I usually have to change my EO every 1500km. It does not really matter if I use a cheap $7 EO or a $22 bottle of Motul EO. By the time I hit 1500km, I notice an issue with gear changes.

I suspected this could have been due to a worn/seized piston or crankshaft ring as the engine oil seemed to be burning off and it turned out to be true!


Lupromax EA works and it is not snake oil. However, it is not a miracle cure. It did take about 3 doses along with 3 EO changes before I felt my engine becoming smoother and slightly quieter. It even allowed the bike to survive a trip to Hatyai and back with the engine in pretty crap condition before

Then again, these products are usually geared towards higher end bikes where tolerances are minute. In these such cases, a small change in friction coefficient can have a huge difference in performance. So Lupromax must be pretty good stuff if I can feel a difference in my low-end made in China 150cc class 2B bike.


No comments:

Post a Comment